24 December 2013

Robot Meets Penguin

It's almost Christmas Eve and almost all of the snow has melted in Buffalo . . . I recall two green Christmases in my lifetime, but a light coating of snow is expected sometime later today. I am posting this early solely because of the nature of the traditions of who is going to who's house for the feast. I myself am still being asked to help because we have that many people coming to us in the Mazella household. I will do the same tomorrow, but slightly later.

This is probably how the "Robo-penguin came to be, except without the Edge and without the Vegas gold. The striping doesn't quite fit the bill either, but it's still sort of close. But that's what Alan has in store for his final concept in the most recent set of them he has sent in. I have also prepared to present something that was a last minute decision . . . my Creighton Bluejays concept from the HCI competition last week (voting is going on there, by the way). Usually it would be posted first, but I will use it here before anyone gets to trick-or-treat it on me (I know, I'm late for Halloween).


As much as I hate Cross-bee and I want to cross him out of hockey completely, I would've liked to see him in a robo-penguin type uniform. This is the second closest we get if the Pittsburghers decide to bring the old ones back. Just as the Canadiens and Avs concepts within the last week, I'd prefer the removal of the piping and I'm not a fan of the curved arm stripes. Honestly, I miss the chest stripe (no surprise). But I do like that the design of said stripe has been transferred to the rest of the jersey. I don't know how to help this other than change the rest of the equipment and clothing around. Being such a 90s inspired design, it's hard to come up with improvements for one of it's more successfully themed sweaters.


The one thing with this that I couldn't fully figure out was how to do the road jersey, mostly because I didn't know how to do the numbers. I still don't have much of an idea with "blue" and with "blue 2" I now wish I only did a single thicker white outline. Too bad I've submitted it . . . nothing I cant fix to send in elsewhere. But hey, I like this a lot better than the previous font. While the logo is modern and pulled a UConn, that at least wasn't that bad and they had a mascot that actually looked like the logo (as opposed to UConn). Speaking of, as a person who lives part time in UConn territory, I have gotten negative reviews (from one better friend in particular) who can stand it. I said 'it has to happen sometime." Even the Yankees and Canadiens it'll have to happen sometime. Back to Omaha, Creighton is doing well in athletics again, so the change for that reason at least should be welcomed, though word on the street is they want the old Billy to come back for the most part.

With midweek looming near, I am just about completely gulfed into indoor lacrosse season as the Buffalo Bandits season and home opener against the Wings of Philadelphia this Saturday. See something regarding them on Friday! This is the first time in several seasons the league has begun play before the new year, the last time was the '07 season when I was listening to Buffalo lose to the now-defunct Portland Lumberjax hand the Thieves their first loss in history on a road opener. I still haven't gotten the thieves moniker to stick around here (or referring to 'the den of thieves' - we call it Banditland, not that there's anything wrong with that) The place will certainly be rocking, as a new head coach and notable new players take the stage along with the same player who's suited up every season and the same PA man who's done the same - it'll be one fun night in Banditland.

Season's Greetings,
-Ricky

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.